Join us for our next Atlanta Penablers meeting Friday, May 3rd 6 – 8pm at Binders Art School in Atlanta, Georgia (Buckhead).
A Brief Foundation of Western Calligraphy
Carolingian, Uncial, Black Letter, Fraktur, Gothic, Italic, Roman, Foundational… where do they all fit, and why should we care? Through artwork that will make you drool, take a quick step back in time and learn how the bones of our writing system evolved and how this can make us better lettering artists. Discover Edward Johnston’s foundational hand and explore making a few of the letters with Penabler co-founder Victoria Lansford. Last but certainly not least, get a taste of pen manipulation that will rock your world!
Poem on Vellum, Carrie Imai
What to Bring
· Practice paper
· Speedball C-2 nib (or equivalent)
· Straight pen holder
· Large Automatic Pen (#4 or #5)
· 6.0mm Parallel Pen (or other large broad pen like a Coit or Horizon)
· Fountain pen ink such as Pelikan, Doodlers, or Windsor Newton (pan watercolors will also work)
And don’t let our new workshops fill up without you! We have two new ones coming up – flyers attached (correction: American Cursive is 17 – 19). Also, upcoming Copperplate class/ workshop and Italic class with Anne Elser!
And Mark Your Calendars!
Monday, May 6th – Friday, May 31st
BINDERS Limelight Gallery presents:
“ L e t t e r s p a c e ”
This is a joint exhibit featuring the work of the Atlanta Friends of the Alphabet and Atlanta Penablers.
Reception: Friday, May 10th (6 – 8pm)
To become an Atlanta Penabler member please contact Jacob Gunter at email@example.com or 404.237.6331 ext. 203
· Click here to see photos from Heather Victoria Held’s recent workshop at Binders Art School: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.492615657453168.1073741826.369709053077163&type=1
· Atlanta Penablers Website: http://atlantapenablers.com/
~Victoria, Anne, George, Mary, Jacob